LANSING — Senate Republicans announced several measures Wednesday to cut the red tape binding Michigan job providers and help put people back to work.
“This package of bills is all about putting Michigan residents back to work,” said Sen. Goeff Hansen, who is sponsoring a key bill in the legislative package. “If we want to get Michigan’s economy back on track, the best way to do that is to cut up the red tape and roll out the red carpet for job providers.”
Hansen said Senate Bills 271 through 279 will reduce burdensome regulations on individuals and businesses to help create jobs and boost Michigan’s economy. He is sponsoring SB 278, which would require state agencies to periodically review existing rules.
“Ineffective and inefficient rules hinder our job providers,” said Hansen, R-Hart. “Let’s get rid of these problems.”
Other measures in the eight-bill package would:
- Level the playing field for Michigan job providers by prohibiting rules more stringent than federal rules, unless authorized by state law;
- Require state agencies to consider disproportionate effects rules might have on small businesses compared to larger companies;
- Improve timeliness in permitting and end delay tactics by regulators who keep asking for additional information;
- Require regulators to compare standards in nearby states and perform a cost-benefit analysis when proposing new rules; and
- Increase transparency in the rulemaking process to improve the opportunity for comment and suggestions by those impacted.
Hansen said reforming Michigan’s regulatory climate is critical. According to Site Selection magazine, business executives look at the ease of permitting and regulatory procedures second only to the availability of desired workforce skills when choosing the place to locate or expand their business.
“In the past decade, Michigan has lost nearly 800,000 jobs. We must remove the obstacles facing job providers in west Michigan and around the state. The time to act is now,” Hansen concluded.
Editor’s note: The above photograph, of Sen. Hansen announcing his reform legislation at a Capitol news conference, is available by clicking on this image or by visiting the senator’s photowire at: http://www.MISenateGOP.com/senators/photowire.asp?District=34
The post Senators unveil plan to cut red tape, help put people back to work appeared first on Senator Goeff Hansen.