Senate Republican Priorities
Senate Republicans will continue to focus on policies and reforms that encourage generations of Michiganders to work, live and raise families in our state.
Our goals are the goals of our constituents: we want to help stimulate job creation and growth; hold government accountable; improve education; and, promote policies that improve the quality of life for all Michiganders.
Our agenda includes short-term and long-term goals. Major issues like repeal of prevailing wage and comprehensive energy reform are top priorities for our caucus, but will require lengthy discussion and review. There are also a number of other significant issues that we intend to tackle in the first few months. I expect our short-term list to evolve and change as we achieve the goals.
Job Creation and Economic Development
Strengthening Michigan’s economy with policies that support job providers and foster economic growth.
- Address current budget challenges and pass a common sense, solutions-oriented budget ahead of the fiscal year deadline.
- Bolster our manufacturing sector by championing new technologies that capitalize on our experienced manufacturing workforce.
- Promote public/private partnerships to encourage growth in needed professions.
- Promote and support skilled and vocational training.
- Promote investment and job creation in the mining and forestry industries.
- Repeal prevailing wage laws.
- Promote tax reform and individual tax relief.
Government Efficiency, Transparency and Reform
Ensure financial accountability for all state departments and ensure government works for our citizens.
- Reform permitting process to end backlog and delays in opening a business or making improvements to land and property.
- Ensure that the state’s management of public land maximizes enjoyment of our natural resources while at the same time protecting property rights and encouraging development.
- Require schools to submit financial records for review to address budget issues before they impact our students.
- Champion an open, transparent and diligent committee process that promotes accountability and participation.
- Reform Civil Service.
- Safeguard personal property rights.
Pursue education policies that ensure more dollars get to the classroom to help improve what matters most—student achievement and teacher effectiveness.
- Create a reliable teacher and administrator evaluation tool.
- Implement a letter grade system to assess schools and promote accountability to parents.
- Promote an education system that values early literacy.
- Reform truancy laws to increase schools attendance.
Quality of Life
Promote policies that focus on the safety, health and well-being of our citizens, our communities and our natural resources.
- Increase funding for state crime lab to address the backlog on rape kit testing and the prosecution thereafter.
- Exempt over-the-counter prescription drugs from the Use Tax.
- Asian Carp prohibition.
- Reform Auto No-Fault laws.
- Reform energy policy.
- Reform Certificate of Need laws.
IN THE MEDIA
Detroit Free Press: Michigan Senate Republicans lay out 90-day agenda
Detroit News: Senators: ‘We owe it’ to victims to process rape kits
Crains Detroit Business: Education, not prevailing wage, early focus for Michigan Senate GOP