First Quarter Accomplishments ‘15
• Promoted greater accountability in our schools by introducing a rigorous and transparent evaluation system for teachers.
• Researched and discussed strategies to ensure students are proficient in reading by the end of third grade through a special education commission.
• Encouraged strong relationships between community colleges and employers by providing greater funding for special employee training agreements.
• Energized students interested in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in order to better prepare them for the careers of the future.
• Highlighted the importance of the mining industry in our state by designating September 6 as Mining in Michigan Day.
• Supported efforts to keep our communities safe by providing more funding for processing rape kits and prosecution of those crimes.
• Called on the federal government to actively prevent Asian Carp from entering the Great Lakes to protect our native species.
GOVERNMENT EFFICIENCY, TRANSPARENCY AND REFORM
• Eliminated over $500 million of wasteful spending in the FY 15 budget to ensure your hard-earned tax dollars are spent efficiently and effectively.
• Streamlined the process for law-abiding citizens to obtain a CPL by eliminating redundant licensing boards.
• Protected against double-taxation for small businesses developing new software and technologies.
• Upheld the rights of private property owners to prohibit growing, distributing and using medical marijuana in rental properties.
• Protected taxpayers by eliminating required prepayment of disputed tax claim until appeals process is complete.
• Supported a plan to protect our district libraries to promote learning in Michigan.
• Honored those who served by providing sales tax exemption laws for active duty service members or veteran groups.
• Protected the rights of our active duty members with regard to child custody court proceedings.